The Manawatu Cricket Association evolved out of the Manawatu Rangitikei Cricket Association which had been formed in 1893. In October 1895 on advice from NZ Cricket Rangitikei was removed and the organisation became the Manawatū Cricket Association. The President was F. Lethbridge (Feilding), Secretary A. Tompkins (Birmingham/Kimbolton and Treasurer A. Carty (Feilding). At that time there were six clubs belonging to it — Feilding, Palmerston North, Colyton, Carnarvon, Cheltenham, and Birmingham, and the membership was 200. The original colours were light and dark blue, and the first annual subscription was a guinea.
Since that time Manawatū has grown to be a strong minor association with a proud record in the Hawke Cup and has produced a significant number of first class players, men and women, for Central Districts and NZ. In January 2021 the MCA celebrated 125 years of existence with a series of functions and games on Fitzherbert Park. At the same time 125 Not Out - A History of the ManawatūCricket Association 1895-2020 was published which provides a detailed and well-illustrated record of the games and people that have made cricket such an important feature of sport in the Manawatū. Copies of the publication are still available from the MCA.